Nacho Jimenez describes his Burro Tropical as something of a Moscow Mule on island time; the tequila-rum base offers leagues more complexity than a vodka ever could, and you still get that unmistakable stab of fresh ginger flavor. The tang of Calpico, Jimenez adds, helps ensure the citrus and passion fruit don’t get lost, and lends the finished product a texture reminiscent of a pina colada, sans any oily heaviness.
- 1 1/2 ounces tequila, preferably Volcán
- 1/2 ounce rum, preferably Banks 5 Island
- 3/4 ounce Chinola Passion Fruit Liqueur
- 3/4 ounce Calpico concentrate
- 1/2 ounce lemon juice
- 1/4 ounce fresh ginger juice
- Soda water
Garnish: mini donkey, cocktail umbrella, mint sprig
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing tin and shake with ice.
- Strain into a highball glass over ice.
- Top with soda.
- Garnish with mini donkey, cocktail umbrella and mint sprig.