In keeping with the aperitif spirit of Byrrh, Natasha David of New York’s Nitecap uses the fortified wine as a component in her spritz, playfully called Byrrh Its Cold Outside. With two sherries—amontillado and ancho chile-infused muscatel—plus cranberry shrub, it makes for an easy transition to fall.
- 3/4 ounce Byrrh
- 3/4 ounce amontillado sherry, preferably Lustau
- 1/2 ounce ancho-infused moscatel sherry (see Editor's Note)
- 3/4 ounce cranberry shrub
- 1/4 ounce lemon juice
- sparkling wine, to top
Garnish: lemon wheel
- Combine all ingredients apart from wine and short shake (just long enough for the ingredients to blend and slightly chill).
- Strain into Collins glass filled with crushed ice.
- Top with sparkling wine.
- Garnish with a lemon wheel.
Ancho-Infused Moscatel Sherry:
1 dried ancho chile
750 ml bottle of sherry
Chop the ancho chile in half and remove the seeds. Submerge the seeded chile in the bottle of sherry and let infuse for two hours. Strain, rebottle and refrigerate for up to one month.