Translated as “reflection coffee,” this drink flash-infuses hot water with whole coffee beans along with fresh herbs, spices and citrus peels. That infusion is combined with amaro for a fragrant nightcap that, in chef Oldani’s words, is “really, really Italian.”
- 1 teaspoon spices, such as black peppercorns, cinnamon sticks or star anise
- 1 teaspoon fresh citrus peels
- 6 ounces water, hot but not boiling (70 to 75 degrees Celsius, or 158 to 167 degrees Fahrenheit)
- 1 tablespoon coffee beans, preferably Lavazza Kafa
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 2 ounces amaro, preferably Amaro Nonino
- Place spices and citrus peels in a tea filter bag or cheesecloth secured with twine.
- In a moka pot, combine hot water, coffee beans and spice bag. Steep for 3 1/2 to 4 minutes.
- Strain infused water (passing through a coffee filter set in a wire strainer) into the glass.
- Add amaro to glass, then rosemary sprig. Use the rosemary sprig to stir, then remove the sprig.