“The Cafe Marumbi is particularly special to me,” says Kacie Lambert, head bartender at New York’s Stay Gold. The morning after her husband proposed to her, she recalls, he discovered espresso-tonics at a coffee shop in Oceanside, California. “His excitement with this revelation only briefly eclipsed the fact that he had proposed the night before.” This drink is inspired by that moment, she says. While the Mr. Black Cold Brew Coffee Liqueur and tonic is “a beautiful pairing” on its own, the added cinnamon and coffee notes from the barrel-aged cachaça, plus the lemon cordial, “makes for a refreshing and bright coffee cocktail.”
- 1 ounce barrel-aged cachaça, preferably Novo Fogo Barrel Aged
- 1 ounce Mr. Black Cold Brew Coffee Liqueur
- 3/4 ounce lemon cordial (see Editor's Note)
- 1 ounce G Tonic Water
- Combine all ingredients, except the tonic water, in a mixing tin a shake with 1/8 cup of pebble ice.
- Shake until you can no longer hear the pellet ice.
- Pour tonic water into a chilled coupe glass.
- Pour contents of shaker over the tonic water.
Stay Gold Lemon Cordial:
1/2 cup vodka
1/2 cup sugar
To a bowl, add the peels of 2 lemons and the sugar. To a separate bowl, add the peels of the two remaining lemons to the vodka. Refrigerate the peeled lemons, and let both mixtures sit separately for 24 hours. Combine all ingredients in a new bowl, add the juice of the four lemons, and stir to combine. Fine strain, bottle and refrigerate for up to one month.