For those who can’t bear the thought of going without almonds, Trash Tiki has a compromise: upcycled day-old almond croissants. “Just just hit up your local cafe and ask them to not throw out what they don’t sell,” the team suggests. The sugar, butter and oil are the functional ingredients, so don’t worry if the pastries aren’t perfectly fresh.
- 1 kilogram boiling water
- 1 kilogram granulated sugar
- 2 almond croissants
- 3 ounces unaged rum
- Combine all ingredients in a sealed container for a minimum of 12 hours. Stir occasionally.
- Blend all the ingredients in a blender or Vitamix until croissants are fully shredded.
- Filter using a superbag or similar.
- Store in the refrigerator or in an air-tight container.