This recipe appears in The Nomad Cocktail Book by Leo Robitschek. Flash-infusing bitters with golden raisins adds dried-fruit richness that echoes similar notes found in amontillado sherry and honey syrup.
- 1 1/2 ounces pisco, preferably Campo de Encanto
- 3/4 ounce honey syrup
- 3/4 ounce lemon juice
- 1/2 ounce unaged blended rum, preferably Banks 5 Island
- 1/2 ounce amontillado sherry, preferably Lustau Dry Amontillado Los Arcos
- 1 teaspoon raisin-Infused Angostura bitters (see Editor’s Note)
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing tin and whip shake with three Kold-Draft ice cubes.
- Strain into a highball glass filled over crushed ice.
Raisin-Infused Angostura Bitters:
In a large bowl, combine 1 750 milliliter bottle Angostura bitters with 260 grams (about 1 ¾ cups) golden raisins. Allow to sit for an hour, then strain through a chinois. Gently push down on the raisins to ensure you get all the remaining infusion out of the raisins. Discard the raisins; store the bitters indefinitely at room temperature.