At Cane & Table in New Orleans’ French Quarter, Kirk Estopinal has revived the Bourbon Street standby with house-made fassionola syrup and a blend of rums.
Cane & Table’s Hurricane
Kirk Estopinal Cane & Table | New Orleans
- 1 1/2 ounces Puerto Rican rum, preferably Don Q
- 1/2 ounce Jamaican rum, preferably Coruba
- 3/4 ounce fassionola syrup (see Editor's Note)
- 3/4 ounce lime juice
Garnish: cocktail umbrella
- Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker with ice and briefly shake.
- Strain into a Hurricane glass filled with pebble ice.
- Garnish with a cocktail umbrella inside out as if it's been broken by the wind.
18 ounces passion fruit pulp, preferably Goya, by weight
32 ounces sugar, by weight
22 ounces water, by weight
2 tablespoons guava jelly
1/2 cup dried hibiscus leaves
Heat water and passion fruit pulp to 190 degrees Fahrenheit. Add the guava jelly and stir until it completely melts. Add the sugar and stir until it’s completely dissolved. Remove from heat and add the dried hibiscus. Let rest overnight. Strain the hibiscus out of mixture and bottle for use.