This is a drink for new beginnings: Edward Hansel developed it as a smoother gateway for those curious but unaccustomed to Fernet shots. The trio of coffee liqueur, amaro and Luxardo Bitter Bianco in the Capputivo is delicate, but still revving—that’s why Hansel suggests drinking it to start your day or evening—“at 7 a.m. or p.m., with rad sunglasses on.”
Edward Hansel, Momofuku Nishi and The Richardson | New York
- 3/4 ounce Luxardo Bitter Bianco
- 3/4 ounce coffee liqueur, preferably Firelit Spirits Coffee Liqueur
- 3/4 ounce Cynar
- 1/2 ounce Fernet-Branca
- 1/4 ounce lemon juice
- 1 egg white
Garnish: lemon twist
- Combine all ingredients except the egg white in a mixing tin and shake with ice.
- Strain the liquid into one half of the mixing tin to remove the ice.
- Add the egg white and dry shake.
- Double strain into a coffee cup or coupe.
- Garnish with a lemon twist.