“Coconut is one of my absolute favorite things to put in cocktails in any form,” says Shannon Tebay, who, having noticed that none of the coconut-flavored cocktails at Death & Co. were built around gin, set out to make the Catamaran. Building outward from Coco López, she homed in on Bimini gin, an American expression flavored with a pronounced grapefruit note, which she pairs with Aperol and Don’s Mix, all served over crushed ice. The concept of the drink quickly came into focus: “It’s basically a grapefruit gin colada,” she says.
- 1 1/2 ounces dry gin, preferably Bimini
- 1/2 ounce navy strength gin, preferably NY Distilling Co. Perry’s Tot
- 1/2 ounce Aperol
- 1 ounce Don’s Mix
- 1/2 ounce lemon juice
- 1/2 ounce Coco Lopez
Garnish: orchid, cinnamon stick
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing tin and shake with ice.
- Strain into a chilled tulip glass over crushed ice.
- Garnish with orchid and cinnamon stick.