At Clementine in Edmonton, Alberta, Mitch Caddick was inspired by the Negroni Sbagliato when creating the Cetara. Punt e Mes and Campari harmonize with Italian bitter soda (the bar has used both Crodino and Stappi Red Bitter), brightened with lime juice that echoes the acidity of grapefruit peel–infused London dry gin.
Mitch Caddick | Edmonton, Alberta
- 1 1/2 ounces grapefruit peel–infused London dry gin (see Editor’s Note)
- 3/4 ounce Punt e Mes
- 3/4 ounce Campari
- 1/2 ounce lime juice
- pinch of salt
- Italian soda such as Crodino or Stappi Red Bitter, to top
Garnish: grapefruit slice
- Add all ingredients, except for soda, to a shaker, then shake with ice.
- Strain into a rocks glass over ice.
- Top with Italian soda.
- Garnish with a slice of grapefruit.
Grapefruit Peel–Infused London Dry Gin
peel of 1 grapefruit
zest of 1 grapefruit
1 750-milliliter bottle of gin
In a sealed container at room temperature, combine grapefruit peel, zest and gin, and let sit for 24 hours. Fine-strain through a coffee filter or cheesecloth.