After tinkering around with the Ward Eight while working at Boston’s Citizen Public House, Chad Arnholt settled on a version with a quarter-ounce of orange juice. “The balance of my own recipe depends on what the oranges I am getting taste like,” he says. If the orange juice—squeeze your own!—is sweeter, back off on the grenadine.
- 1 3/4 ounces rye whiskey, preferably Rittenhouse
- 1/2 ounce to 3/4 ounce pomegranate grenadine (see Editor's Note)
- 1/2 ounce lemon juice
- 1/4 ounce orange juice, fresh-squeezed
- Combine ingredients in cocktail shaker with ice.
- Shake and strain into chilled cocktail glass.
1:1, pomegranate juice, preferably Pom Wonderful : superfine sugar
Mix equal parts by weight pomegranate juice and superfine sugar. Stir until dissolved.