Taking third place at a recent Cosmopolitan blind tasting was the recipe of Christine Wiseman, of the Broken Shaker in Los Angeles. It was the most unorthodox of the top three, asking for 1 ½ ounces of Absolut Lime (not Citron), ½ ounce of Pierre Ferrand Dry Curaçao, 1 ounce Ocean Spray, ½ ounce lime juice, and ¼ ounce simple syrup. The mix was shaken with a lime peel and garnished with a grapefruit twist. While the panel thought the grapefruit flavor took over the drink a bit, they otherwise found it balanced and enjoyable.
- 1 1/2 ounces lime vodka, preferably Absolut Lime
- 1/2 ounce curaçao, preferably Pierre Ferrand Dry Orange Curaçao
- 1 ounce cranberry juice
- 1/2 ounce lime juice
- 1/4 ounce simple syrup
- Lime peel
Garnish: grapefruit peel
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing tin and shake with ice and lime peel.
- Strain into a chilled coupe.
- Garnish with grapefruit peel.