Paul McGee’s Clarified Corn ’n’ Oil transforms the tropical mixture of aged rum, falernum and lime juice from its typical petroleum color to a crystal-clear amber for a drink that has a softer touch than the original.
Clarified Corn ‘n’ Oil
Paul McGee, Lost Lake | Chicago
- 375 milliliters (½ bottle) rhum agricole, preferably Clement Select Barrel
- 375 milliliters (½ bottle) rum, preferably Real McCoy 5 Year Barbados Rum
- 375 milliliters (½ bottle) Velvet Falernum
- 100 milliliters lime juice
- 50 milliliters water
- 4 dashes Angostura Bitters
- 4 ounces half and half
- Combine all ingredients, except the half and half, in an 8 quart container.
- In a separate 8 quart container, add half and half.
- Pour the cocktail mixture (the first container) over the half and half and let sit for 30 minutes. You should see the punch curdle, this is a good thing. Line a fine mesh strainer with a damp cloth napkin or cheese cloth and place strainer over a deli container and slowly pour about 8 ounces of the mixture through the cloth. The first liquid coming through will be a bit hazy so move the strainer to another container and continue to let the mixture slowly collect into the container. Continue to pour more of the mixture through the strainer. It will yield around 2 deli containers.
- Place punch in refrigerator and pour 3 to 4 ounces over a big ice cube whenever you like.