“When myself and Leo [Robitschek] were in Miami a couple of years ago we fell in love with fresh coconuts with rum in them,” says Nathan McCarley-O’Neill, who channels the spirit of that drink, but puts a decidedly high-brow spin on it. Fino sherry replaces rum and is paired with tarragon-infused blanc vermouth, Cocchi Americano, falernum and un-pasteurized coconut water, which adds a richer mouthfeel without departing too far from the uncomplicated nature of the original inspiration. “It’s super easy drinking.”
- 1 1/2 ounces fino sherry, preferably Lustau
- 1 ounce tarragon-infused blanc vermouth, preferably Dolin (see Editor's Note)
- 1/2 ounce Cocchi Americano
- 1/2 ounce coconut water, preferably Harmless Harvest
- 1 teaspoon pear brandy, preferably Clear Creek
- 1 teaspoon falernum
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass over ice and stir until chilled.
- Strain into a chilled coupe or cocktail glass.