Known for crafting tiki-inspired cocktails influenced by his Filipino roots, Gelo Honrade infuses bourbon with pandan, a herb popular in Southeast Asian cooking and baking, which lends an earthy, coconut flavor to the traditional Old-Fashioned blueprint.
Coco Pandan Old-Fashioned
Gelo Honrade, Bar Director, Osamil | New York
- 2 ounces pandan-infused Angel's Envy bourbon (see Editor's Note)
- 1/2 ounce Kalani Coconut Liqueur
- 2 barspoons demerara syrup (1:1 demerara sugar dissolved in hot water)
- 1 dash mole or chocolate bitters
- 1 dash orange bitters
Garnish: banana slice brûléed with a blowtorch
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass over ice and stir until chilled.
- Strain into a rocks glass over a large ice cube.
- Garnish with banana brûlée.
To make pandan-infused bourbon, tie 5 fresh or frozen (thawed) pandan leaves into a knot (the leaves are long and thin) and place in an airtight container with 8 ounces of bourbon. Cap tightly and let sit for 2 days. Strain out the leaves.