“There is something magical about rye and Jamaican rum together—almost creating the impression of an earthy Cognac,” says Devon Tarby of this Sazerac-style cocktail from The Varnish‘s Eric Alperin.
Eric Alperin | Los Angeles
- 1 ounce rye whiskey
- 1 ounce Jamaican rum
- 1 brown sugar cube
- 2 dashes orange bitters
- 1 barspoon soda water
- absinthe, to rinse the glass
Garnish: lemon twist
- In a chilled mixing glass, soak the sugar cube with orange bitters.
- Add a barspoon of soda water and muddle into a paste.
- Add the rye and rum and cracked ice and stir.
- Strain into a chilled rocks glass rinsed with absinthe.
- Express the lemon twist and use as garnish on the rim of the glass.