“If you’re expecting a crowd for the holidays, larger format is the way to go,” advises Eben Freeman. Here, he mixes together citrus juices, tea, Applejack and sparkling cider to feed the thirsty hordes before dinner.
- 8 ounces citrus juice, combined from 1 orange, 1 lemon and 1 lime
- peel from citrus (no pith)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 16 ounces Jamaican rum
- 16 ounces Applejack
- 24 ounces black tea, brewed and still hot
- 24 ounces cider
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
Garnish: pomegranate seeds and slices of mixed citrus
- Add sugar and citrus peels to large punch bowl and muddle, then let sit for 30 minutes to one hour.
- Add hot tea and stir to dissolve sugar.
- Strain out citrus peels and add liquid back to bowl. Add citrus juice, rum and Applejack.
- Add ice cubes; two-iinch cubes are preferred so it doesn't melt as fast, but whatever you have will work.
- When ready to serve, top with cider, grated cinnamon, grated nutmeg and garnish with citrus slices and pomegranate seeds sprinkled throughout.