According to Monica Berg, who helms Himkok, Oslo’s leading cocktail bar, the coming years will see a greater balance between locavore movements and sustainable industry. “Working with local produce and global brands is important,” explains Berg, “and I don’t think one excludes the other.” For Berg, this often means finding alternative sources for key cocktail components typically not sourced locally, like citrus. For her Credo Sour, Berg swaps out the expected lemon or lime for a lactic acid-based whey cordial that’s shaken with vodka, aquavit and Cocchi Americano. “If citrus is amazing where you live and work, then use it,” she says, “but if its not, then why not use something else?”
- 1/2 ounce vodka, preferably Absolut Elyx
- 1/2 ounce aquavit, preferably Linie
- 1 ounce Cocchi Americano
- 1 ounce whey cordial (see Editor's Note)
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing tin and shake with ice.
- Strain into a chilled rocks glass over ice.
1000ml kefir whey
500g caster sugar
20g malic acid
Combine all ingredients in sealable bottle and refrigerate.