Rhum agricole is a “stellar” choice of partner for oft-misunderstood Crème de Violette, says Jared Sadoian of Boston’s The Hawthorne, as the spirit’s sugarcane aromas “can be enhanced by a small dose of violette.” In the Crème de Canne Collins, Sadoian uses the two as the base for a fragrant, citrus-driven cocktail, all topped with soda to further enhance the experience of its layers of aromatics.
- 1 ounce rhum agricole, preferably Clément Canne Bleue
- 1 ounce Dolin Blanc vermouth
- 3/4 ounce lemon juice
- 1/2 ounce simple syrup
- 1 barspoon Crème de Violette, preferably Rothman & Winter
- club soda, to top
- Add all ingredients except club soda to a mixing glass and stir.
- Pour into a Collins glass with ice and top with club soda.