Ben Hatch altered this recipe to fill the need for a lesser-known, spirit-forward New Orleans drink for the Elysian Bar’s menu. The result is an updated Manhattan variation that not only reads as a love letter to Hatch’s favorite alpine producers, but also convinced him that he does, indeed, like Manhattans.
- 1 1/2 ounces cask-strength rye, preferably Stellum
- 1 ounce sweet vermouth, preferably Bèrto Ross da Travaj
- 1/2 ounce Bigallet China-China
- 1/4 ounce alpine amaro, preferably Alpe Lys
Garnish: orange twist
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass with ice and stir until chilled.
- Strain into a chilled coupe.
- Garnish with a large orange twist.