An easy-drinking cocktail—it’s Dorman’s favorite shift drink—the Crown Chelsea uses a base of bourbon mixed with just a hint of rum. It also employs orgeat syrup as a sweetener, adding a nutty richness that complements the barrel notes of the bourbon. The allspice dram, meanwhile, amps up the baking spice notes of the other ingredients, while keeping the sweetness in balance.
Meaghan Dorman, Raines Law Room | New York
- 1½ ounces Elijah Craig Small Batch
- ½ ounce Guyanese aged rum
- 1 teaspoon orgeat
- 1 teaspoon St. Elizabeth Allspice Dram
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
Garnish: orange twist, orange peel spiked with cloves
- Combine ingredients in a double Old-Fashioned glass.
- Add one large ice cube and stir approximately 20 times.
- Express an orange peel over the drink and discard.
- Garnish with another orange peel, spiked with cloves.