Jack Schramm’s Cruise to Nowhere is a carbonated mixture of clarified guava and lime juices, blanc vermouth, pineapple rum and aquavit.
- 1 ounuce Clarified Guava Juice (see Editor’s Note)
- 1 ounce L.N. Mattei Cap Corse Blanc Aperitif
- 3/4 ounce rum, preferably Plantation Pineapple
- 3/4 ounce Clarified Lime Juice (see Editor’s Note)
- 1/4 ounce aquavit, preferably Linie
- 1/4 ounce simple syrup
- 3 ounces water
- 5 drops 20% Saline Solution (see Editor's Note)
- Build all ingredients in a carbonation bottle.
- Chill to almost freezing.
- Carbonate three times.
- Serve in a highball glass over ice.
Clarified Guava or Lime Juice
Start with 1000 mL room temperature guava or lime juice. Add 4 mL Pectinex Ultra SP-L and 4 mL Kieselsol and wait 15 minutes. Add 4 mL Chitosan and wait 15 minutes. Add 4 mL Kieselsol and wait 15 minutes. At this point it should be clearly visible that the juice has "broken." There will be a layer of clear juice suspended between two thicker cloudy layers. Spin in a Spinzall or lab centrifuge set to 4500 RPM for 15 minutes, or wait at least an additional hour and strain through a paper filter. Note: Kieselsol and Chitosan will not work without Pectinase, but you can get 80 percent of the results with just Pectinase.
80 grams water
20 grams kosher salt
Add to a container and stir to dissolve. Store in a dropper bottle indefinitely.