At Jewel of the South in New Orleans, Chris Hannah and Nick Detrich have dedicated an entire concept to Joseph Santini, the inventor of the Brandy Crusta, where, naturally, the Crusta is king. The Crusta Alcala is their mixture of tequila, mezcal, lime juice, yellow Chartreuse and a small measure of crème de cacao served in a glass coated with a coffee-sugar rim, garnished with an orange peel.
- 1 1/4 ounce blanco tequila
- 1/2 ounce mezcal, preferably Del Maguey Vida
- 3/4 ounce lime juice
- 1/2 ounce yellow Chartreuse
- 1/4 ounce Creme de Cacao
- 2 dashes chocolate bitters
Garnish: orange peel
- Combine all the ingredients in a cocktail shaker with ice and shake until chilled.
- Strain into a cocktail glass rimmed with a coffee-sugar mixture (see Editor's Note) and garnish with an orange peel.
To make the coffee-sugar rim, simply combine finely ground coffee and sugar in a ratio of 1:2.