The julep with a Cynar base shows that this spirit can stand up for itself against most any flavor. This bittersweet julep has the familiar mound of crushed ice and a bouquet of fresh mint, but the Cynar offers depth of flavor, herbaceousness and bitter notes, all complemented by bright pops of acid from the fresh lime and grapefruit.
- 4 sprigs fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 ounces Cynar
- 1/2 ounce fresh lime juice
- fresh grapefruit juice, to top
Garnish: fresh mint sprigs
- Combine the fresh mint and brown sugar in the bottom of a chilled julep cup or double Old-Fashioned glass, then muddle lightly to release the fragrant oils in the mint.
- Add the Cynar and lime juice and fill the glass with crushed or pebble ice.
- Swizzle with a bar spoon to incorporate ingredients.
- Top with grapefruit juice and more ice, and garnish with fresh mint. Serve with a short straw.