“At our bar, we have tested over a dozen amaro sour variations over the years, and Cynar is always at the top of the list,” says Guido Martelli, general manager of an Italian American restaurant in Philadelphia. “It has enough backbone to stand up to the lemon and egg white.” This take sees the bitter notes in Cynar rounded out by maraschino and agave, all crowned with fluffy egg white, if you like.
- 2 ounces Cynar
- 1/4 ounce maraschino liqueur
- 1 ounce fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 ounce agave syrup
- 1 egg white (optional)
Garnish: cucumber slice or orange twist
- Add all ingredients to a cocktail shaker.
- Add ice and shake until chilled. (Note: If using egg white, first shake all ingredients without ice to incorporate the egg white, then add ice and shake until chilled.)
- Strain into a chilled coupe glass.
- Garnish with cucumber slice or orange twist.