Although Dan Sabo splits the base between two rum bottlings for complexity in his version of the Mojito, this drink also works well with a simple two-ounce measure of Caña Brava or another preferred blanco rum.
Dan Sabo’s Mojito
Dan Sabo, Paligroup | Los Angeles
- 10 to 12 mint leaves
- 1 ounce Caña Brava rum
- 1 ounce Plantation 3 Star rum
- 1 ounce lime juice
- 1/2 ounce rich simple syrup (2:1; sugar:water)
- club soda, to top
Garnish: mint sprig
- Place mint leaves in Collins glass. Muddle the leaves gently, pressing lightly 2 to 3 times to release the oils without breaking down the leaves.
- Add the rums, lime juice and rich simple syrup to the glass.
- Fill the glass three-quarters of the way with crushed ice.
- Swizzle, using a swizzle stick or a bar spoon.
- Top with a splash of club soda, and top up with crushed ice, making a small mound on top.
- Garnish with mint sprig, and tuck the straw in next to the mint.