In this twist on one of the oldest warm drink templates, Dave Arnold heats the drink via hot poker which lends a caramelized flavor to the finished drink. Here, he adapts the recipe for stovetop preparation.
Dave Arnold’s Wassail
Bobby Murphy, Existing Conditions | New York
- 2 ounces apple brandy
- 1 ounce Madeira
- 1/4 ounce lemon juice
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 thyme sprig
- 1 3/4 ounces water
- 2 teaspoons sugar
Garnish: grated cinnamon
- In a mug, mix together brandy, Madeira, lemon juice, salt and thyme.
- Heat sugar in a saucepan, until caramelized.
- Pour in brandy mixture.
- Use a long-handled match or kitchen torch to apply flame to the contents of the pan; it should catch fire.
- Add water, dousing the fire. Add more water if needed to extinguish the flame.
- Scrape the insides of the pan and briefly stir to combine.
- Strain into mug.
- Garnish with grated cinnamon.