“I was listening to a lot of Beastie Boys when I came up with this one,” says NYC bartender Brad Farran. The Davy Jones’s Locker—a reference to the line from “Rhymin’ & Stealin” from Licensed to Ill—is a 19th-century sailors’ euphemism for the bottom of the ocean, or death by drowning. In keeping with the vaguely-Caribbean implications, Farran winterized the Daiquiri using gold rum, Fernet Branca and a riff on the grapefruit-cinnamon tiki staple, Donn’s mix.
- 2 ounces gold rum (preferably Appleton Reserve)
- 1/4 ounce Fernet Branca
- 1 ounce grapefruit juice
- 1/2 ounce cinnamon bark syrup (see Editor's Note)
- 1/4 ounce lime juice
Garnish: lime wheel
- Add all ingredients to a cocktail shaker.
- Add ice and shake until chilled.
- Strain into a small wine or coupe glass.
- Garnish with a lime wheel.
Simmer 1 cup of sugar with 1 cup of water and 3 tablespoons cinnamon bark over medium heat for 10 minutes. Let cool, bottle and store in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.