The challenges and triumphs Alex Waldman faces owning Istanbul’s only craft cocktail bar are perhaps best summarized by the Dead Celebrity. In March of 2013, Waldman explains, “I got my first batch of sherries into the bar: fino, amontillado, oloroso and PX. Within a week I had solved all but the oloroso. I struggled to mix it for weeks, and finally, on the verge of despair I decided to try it with green chartreuse.” The result is the Dead celebrity, a somewhat unlikely mix of sherry, green Chartreuse, Scotch and lemon and rhubarb bitters.
- 1 1/2 ounces Scotch (Lagavulin 16 Year Old)
- 3/4 ounce oloroso sherry (Emilio Lustau Don Nuño)
- 3/4 ounce green Chartreuse
- 3 dashes lemon bitters (Bitter Truth)
- 1 dash rhubarb bitters (Fee Brothers)
Garnish: lemon peel
- Add all ingredients to a mixing glass.
- Add ice and stir until chilled.
- Strain into a chilled coupe or cocktail glass.
- Garnish with a lemon peel.