At The Wallingford Dram, banana-infused Jameson shines in the Deepesh Mode, a house cocktail that also includes Redbreast 12-year whiskey (another Irish whiskey, produced in copper pot stills and aged in oloroso sherry casks), bitters and Fernet Michaud (a local amaro aged in Maine blueberry wine barrels).
Wallingford Dram | Kittery, ME
- 1 ounce Banana Jameson (see Editor's Note)
- 1 ounce Irish whiskey, preferably Redbreast 12 Year
- 1/2 ounce fernet, preferably Fernet Michaud
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass over ice and stir until chilled.
- Strain into a rocks glass over a large ice cube.
Excerpted from Marc Forgione
1 750mL bottle of Jameson
3 ripe bananas, peeled and sliced
Place the bananas and Jameson in a sealed, sterilized container and let stand at room temperature for 3 to 4 days. Stain the mixture through a fine mesh strainer into a bowl and discard the banana slices. The infusion should be slightly viscous and cloudy – this is what gives the infused whiskey its body, structure and taste. Pour the infused whiskey back into the container or the original bottle. It will keep indefinitely.