At The Wallingford Dram, banana-infused Jameson shines in the Deepesh Mode, a house cocktail that also includes Redbreast 12-year whiskey (another Irish whiskey, produced in copper pot stills and aged in oloroso sherry casks), bitters and Fernet Michaud (a local amaro aged in Maine blueberry wine barrels).
- 1 ounce Banana Jameson (see Editor's Note)
- 1 ounce Irish whiskey, preferably Redbreast 12 Year
- 1/2 ounce fernet, preferably Fernet Michaud
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass over ice and stir until chilled.
- Strain into a rocks glass over a large ice cube.
Excerpted from Marc Forgione
1 750mL bottle of Jameson
3 ripe bananas, peeled and sliced
Place the bananas and Jameson in a sealed, sterilized container and let stand at room temperature for 3 to 4 days. Stain the mixture through a fine mesh strainer into a bowl and discard the banana slices. The infusion should be slightly viscous and cloudy – this is what gives the infused whiskey its body, structure and taste. Pour the infused whiskey back into the container or the original bottle. It will keep indefinitely.