Deke Dunne makes some significant adjustments to George Kappeler’s 1895 recipe, like adding Cognac to the apple brandy base and reducing the measures of Bénédictine and yellow Chartreuse. But this version, which he serves at Allegory in Washington, D.C., ultimately honors the original by enhancing its core flavors.
- 1 ounce apple brandy, preferably Republic Restoratives Chapman’s Apple Brandy
- 3/4 ounce VSOP Cognac, preferably Rémy Martin
- scant 1/4 ounce yellow Chartreuse
- scant 1/4 ounce Bénédictine
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass.
- Add ice and stir to chill.
- Strain into a chilled Nick & Nora glass.