Named in honor of the late-afternoon/early-evening nap one sneaks in to reset for the night ahead, Jon Mullen’s Disco Nap offers a twist on a bitter and bubbly espresso and tonic. The low-proof Piedmontese amaro Bordiga Chiot Montamaro offers chicory notes that pair well with the Varnelli coffee liqueur and shot of cold brew. “What really works great in this drink is the spicy-sweet finish of the Fever-Tree Aromatic Tonic,” says Mullen. “It turns the drink into more of a refreshing aperitivo.”
Jon Mullen, Bar Pisellino | New York
- 2 ounces Bordiga Chiot Montamaro
- 1/4 ounce Varnelli Caffè Moka
- 1 1/2 ounces cold brew concentrate or a double shot of espresso
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
- 1 1/2 ounces Fever-Tree Aromatic Tonic Water
Garnish: orange zest (expressed and discarded)
- Combine all the ingredients except the Fever-Tree Aromatic Tonic Water in a mixing tin filled with ice, and shake until chilled.
- Add the Fever-Tree Aromatic Tonic Water to the mixing tin and double-strain into a chilled Collins glass filled with ice.
- Express the orange zest over the surface of the drink and discard.