The Disgruntled Mai Tai takes a cue from European drinking traditions in this playful spin on the tiki classic. To the familiar combination of Jamaican rum, lime, orgeat and Curaçao, Attaboy’s Sam Ross adds an ounce of Aperol as well as an upturned bottle of Underberg for a bitter, bracing final touch.
Disgruntled Mai Tai
Sam Ross | New York City
- 1 ounce overproof Jamaican rum, preferably Smith & Cross
- 1 ounce Aperol
- 1 ounce lime juice
- 1/2 ounce orgeat
- 1/2 ounce Curaçao
- bottle of Underberg
Garnish: mint sprig, lime wedge, freshly grated nutmeg, cocktail umbrella
- Combine all ingredients except for the Underberg in a cocktail shaker.
- Briefly dry shake without ice, then add a few small ice cubes and shake until the ice has melted.
- Pour into a chilled rocks glass and top with crushed ice.
- Remove the cap and the top of the paper wrapper on the Underberg bottle and insert it, upside-down, into the crushed ice.
- Garnish with a mint sprig, lime wedge, grated nutmeg and a cocktail umbrella.