A classic tiki ingredient, key to drinks including the Zombie and Donga Punch. Jeff “Beachbum” Berry, who decoded the recipe from Don the Beachcomber’s original, notes that white grapefruit juice is essential for its bitterness and acidity.
Yield: 6 cups
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1 cup sugar
- 32 ounces fresh white grapefruit juice
- Crush the cinnamon sticks and place them in a saucepan with sugar and one cup water.
- Bring to a boil, stirring until the sugar is dissolved.
- Lower the heat and cover cover the saucepan. Simmer for two minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from heat and, keeping it covered, let sit at least two hours.
- Strain. Cinnamon syrup will keep up to one month refrigerated.
- To make Don’s Mix, combine two parts white grapefruit juice with one part cinnamon syrup.