“The Midori Sour and the Lychee Martini are probably the only ‘Asian’ drinks the average consumer can think of,” says Caer Maiko, adding “we have to acknowledge the history we are coming from, but we wanted to elevate the experience and flavors.” She achieves this by leaning on fresh melon and cucumber pureé alongside gin, Midori melon liqueur and, to boost the traditional Asian flavors, a barspoon of baijiu and a few dashes of yuzu extract.
- 1 dash saline solution
- 4 dashes yuzu extract
- 1/2 ounce lime
- 1/2 ounce simple syrup
- 1 ounce Midori melon liqueur
- 1 ounce gin, preferably Hendrick's
- 1 ounce Honeydew-cucumber pureé (see Editor’s Note
- 1 barspoon baijiu
- 1 barspoon manzanilla sherry
Garnish: paper straw, maraschino cherry
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing tin and shake with crushed ice.
- Pour into Chinese style to-go box.
- Top with more crushed ice.
- Garnish with paper straw and maraschino cherry.
Honeydew Cucumber Pureé:
Blend the fruit of 3 Honeydew melons (skinned and de-seeded) and 1 large cucumber.