In her Dorothy’s Delight punch, Caitlin Laman riffs on a base of two quintessential punch ingredients—tea and brandy—and combines them with coffee liqueur and dry oloroso sherry for a rich, smoky and slightly bitter punch that’s ideal for kicking off an evening. Also good for getting the party started? “Make sure to drink the remainder of the oloroso as you are making the punch,” says Laman.
- 24 ounces brandy, preferably Tariquet VS Armagnac
- 8 ounces oloroso sherry, preferably Fernando de Castilla Oloroso
- 2 ounces coffee liqueur, preferably St. George NOLA Coffee Liqueur
- 3 ounces lemon juice
- 10 ounces grapefruit oleo-saccharum (See Editor's Note)
- 14 ounces brewed rooibos tea
Garnish: lemon wheels and rooibos flowers
- Combine all ingredients and let sit 24 hours.
- Rack off top and strain the rest.
- Garnish with lemon wheels and rooibos flowers.
- Ladle into cups over ice to serve.
2 ounces grapefruit peel
1 ounce lemon peel
8 ounces sugar
Macerate grapefruit peel and lemon peel in sugar. Cryovac and let sit for 24 hours; or, alternatively, let macerate overnight in a plastic bag with as little air in it as possible.