In developing the Dos Gardenias, Collina set out to make a drinkable parallel to the NoMad’s signature dessert, “Milk and Honey,” a combination of milk ice cream, oat shortbread and dehydrated-milk foam. What he ultimately created was in presentation and profile akin to a Sherry Cobbler (acidic, with notes of raisin and nuts), but with an added richness owing to the inclusion of honey-and-butter–based Gardenia Mix.
Pietro Collina, NoMad Bar | New York City
- 4 dashes chocolate bitters
- 1 teaspoon walnut liqueur, preferably Nux Alpina Nocino
- 1/4 ounce maple syrup
- 1/2 ounce lemon
- 1/2 ounce Scotch, preferably Chivas 12 Year
- 3/4 ounce Gardenia Mix (see Editor's Note)
- 1 1/2 ounces Palo Cortado sherry
- Shake ingredients over ice.
- Strain into a highball glass filled with crushed ice.
NoMad Bar's Gardenia Mix:
2 cups Honey
2 cups Unsalted butter, cubed
2 3/4 ounces Cinnamon syrup
1 1/4 ounces Allspice dram
1 1/4 ounces Vanilla syrup
Heat the honey in a saucepan over medium heat until it starts to bubble and break down into a thin liquid. Do not let it get too hot. Add the cubed butter and whisk until melted and smooth. Let mixture rest for 2 to 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and whisk until smooth. Let sit before storing.