With this recipe, Doug Phillips, of Heavy Feather in Chicago, took second place in our recent Grasshopper blind tasting. He went the classic Midwestern route, using a 6-ounce scoop of vanilla ice cream, to which he added 1/2 ounce each of Marie Brizard Menthe Verte, Tempus Fugit white crème de menthe, Tempus Fugit crème de cacao and Cognac. These were blended together until smooth, and topped with whipped cream. “Well, it’s just delicious,” stated Sarah Morrissey, seeing no need to embellish her appraisal further. (That particular drink did not last long among the judges.
Doug Phillips’s Grasshopper
Doug Phillips, Heavy Feather | Chicago
- 1/2 ounce Cognac, preferably Pierre Ferrand 1840
- 1/2 ounce green crème de menthe, preferably Marie Brizard
- 1/2 ounce white crème de menthe, preferably Tempus Fugit
- 1/2 ounce crème de cacao, preferably Tempus Fugit
- 6 ounces vanilla ice cream
Garnish: whipped cream
- Blend all ingredients until smooth.
- Pour into glass of your choice.
- Top with whipped cream.