Matthew Belanger’s drinks for Donna and Death & Co. could be described as everything from nouveau tropical to Brooklyn tiki, but Belanger would rather call them “vacation drinks.” His Dr. Strangelove calls on a triple-blend base of rum (white, overproof rhum agricole and overproof Jamaican rum) and pulls in ingredients—kiwi, aloe vera liqueur—that are vaguely tropical, but hardly classic.
Matthew Belanger, Death & Co. | New York City
- 2 ounces rum
- 3/4 ounce blanc vermouth , preferably Dolin
- 1/4 ounce aloe vera liqueur
- 3/4 ounce kiwi syrup(see Editor's Note)
- 3/4 ounce lime juice
Garnish: kiwi slice
- In a shaker tin, combine all ingredients and shake.
- Strain into a Pilsner glass over crushed ice.
- Garnish with a kiwi slice.
1 part strained kiwi juice
1 part sugar (by weight)
Briefly blend until sugar is dissolved, being careful not to overblend and oxidize the kiwi.