A blend of pineapple rum, Swedish punsch and green Chartreuse, the Drinkin’ with Stiggins calls on mint to complement the drink’s inherent herbal flavors and contrast its notes of baking spice, which come from a bar spoon of star anise-infused gomme syrup.
- 1 1/2 ounces Plantation Pineapple rum
- 1/2 ounce Swedish punsch, preferably Kronan
- 1/4 ounce green Chartreuse
- 1/2 ounce lemon juice
- bar spoon star anise gomme (see Editor's Note)
- 1 dash lactart
- 1 dash Angostura bitters
- 6 to 8 drops tiki bitters, preferably Bittermens 'Elemakule Tiki Bitters
- 6 to 8 mint leaves
Garnish: mint sprig, star anise pod
- Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker over ice.
- Shake and strain into a whiskey glass, such as Glencairn.
- Garnish with a mint sprig and a star anise pod.
Star Anise Gomme
12 ounces water
4 ounces acacia powder
3 1/2 cups sugar
8 to 10 whole star anise pods
Slowly add 4 of cold water to 4 ounces of acacia powder and whisk together until fully incorporated. Allow the mixture to sit overnight. Combine the sugar and remaining 8 ounces of water in a saucepan over low heat to make a rich syrup. Add the whole star anise pods. Over low heat, slowly add acacia mixture to rich syrup and stir to combine. Let the syrup rest for 24 hours before using.