“I love, love, love tomatillos and I’ve been trying to figure out how to get it into a cocktail without it being overbearing or too vegetal,” says Arianna Hone, who landed on a syrup in this spritz-style drink, which combines gin and small amounts of Strega, mezcal and basil eau de vie alongside lime and yuzu juice. “A lot of people who order this drink at my bar don’t like tomatillos or are really intimidated by the ingredients,” says Hone, “but with a little bit of convincing, they end up loving it.”
- 1 ounce gin
- 1 ounce tomatillo syrup (see Editor’s Note)
- 1/2 ounce lime juice
- 1/2 ounce Strega
- 1/2 ounce rye whiskey
- 1/4 ounce mezcal
- 1/4 ounce St. George Basil eau de vie
- 1/4 ounce yuzu juice
- soda water, to top
- prosecco, to top
Garnish: shiso leaf
- Combine all ingredients except soda water and prosecco in a cocktail shaker with ice and shake until chilled.
- Double-strain into a wine glass and top with soda water and prosecco.
- Garnish with a shiso leaf.
Combine equal parts tomatillo (quartered), cane sugar and water, by weight, in a Vitamix (or other high-powered blender), blend and fine-strain. Keeps, refrigerated, for 5 days.