Inspired by what he calls “the most bitter character in literature,” Toby Maloney’s Eeyore’s Requiem is a “deep dark Negroni, turned on its head.” The drink starts with a base of bitter complexity by stacking three different amari amped up with aromatic French vermouth and juniper-rich gin. “This drink is an excellent foil to the sweet, bumbling, fruity drinks with very little brain,” says Maloney.
- 1 1/2 ounces Campari
- 1 ounce blanc vermouth, preferably Dolin
- 1/2 ounce gin, preferably Tanqueray
- 1/4 ounce Cynar
- 1/4 ounce Fernet-Branca
- 2 dashes orange bitters
Garnish: orange twist
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass with ice and stir until chilled.
- Strain into a chilled coupe glass.
- Express three orange twists over the surface of the drink, discarding the first two and saving the third for garnish.