“Pretty much every drink that we do will contain some form of vermouth or sherry, or a low ABV ingredient,” says Nathan McCarley-O’Neill, “It’s kind of like a calling card.” The Eight States contains three: equal parts blanc vermouth and Cocchi Americano, a measure of aloe vera liqueur and, to round things out, a hefty dose of mezcal. “I wanted to create something a bit lower in ABV, a little more approachable, but still similar to what a Negroni is, but more so like a white Negroni.”
- 3/4 ounce blanc vermouth, preferably Dolin
- 3/4 ounce Cocchi Americano
- 3/4 ounce mezcal, preferably Derrumbes San Luis Potosí
- 1/4 ounce Chareau Aloe Liqueur
Garnish: cucumber ribbon, grapefruit twist
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass over ice and stir until chilled.
- Strain into a rocks glass over a large ice cube.
- Garnish with a cucumber ribbon lining the glass.
- Express a grapefruit twist over the drink and discard.