Bill Norris’s El Diablo Pepino is a very simple twist on the classic El Diablo cocktail, a tequila-based drink with cassis, lime juice and ginger beer. It builds on the original template, but adds refreshing cucumber to highlight the bright notes on the blackcurrant liqueur and the classic agave character of Tapatio Blanco tequila.
- 1 1/2 ounces blanco tequila, preferably Tapatio
- 1/2 ounce cassis, preferably Giffard
- .5 ounces lemon juice
- 3 seedless cucumber slices, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- ginger beer
Garnish: cucumber wheel
- Place two of the cucumber slices in a cocktail shaker with the lemon juice and muddle to break up them up.
- Add the tequila, cassis and ice to the shaker and shake until cold and well combined.
- Strain into an ice filled collins glass and top with ginger beer.
- Garnish with the remaining cucumber slice.