Although A16’s El Pepe looks innocent in a glass, it’s delightfully complex. Built on a similar structure as a Margarita except with a base of smoky mezcal and herbaceous Dolin Génépy in place of tequila and Cointreau, El Pepe wields an unexpected layer complexity.
- 1 ounce mezcal (preferably Del Maguey Vida)
- 1/2 ounce Dolin Génépy
- 1/2 ounce lemon juice
- 1/4 ounce simple syrup (1:1, sugar:water)
- 2 leaves basil
- 1 slice fresno pepper, thin
- 4 dashes Angostura bitters
Garnish: basil leaf
- Add all ingredients to a cocktail shaker.
- Add ice and shake until chilled.
- Strain over a large rock into a rocks glass.
- Garnish with a basil leaf.