Served on tap at New York’s Dante, this riff improves on the rum-vermouth-orange liqueur classic with a sumac tincture that both echoes the grenadine’s tart, earthy flavors and recalls the pomegranate’s connection to the Middle East.
- 1 1/2 ounces aged rum, preferably Bacardi 8
- 1 ounce dry vermouth, preferably Martini & Rossi
- 1/2 ounce Pierre Ferrand dry orange Curacao
- 1 teaspoon house grenadine (see recipe for Dante's grenadine)
- 3 dashes sumac tincture (see Editor's Note)
Garnish: orange twist
- Fill a mixing glass with ice and add all ingredients.
- Stir until very well chilled.
- Strain into a Nick & Nora glass and garnish with an orange twist.
4 ounces Absolut 100
1 teaspoon powdered sumac
In a glass jar, combine Absolut 100 and powdered sumac. Set aside for 3-4 days, shaking occasionally. Strain through a very fine tea strainer. Pour into a dasher or dropper bottle. Will keep in a cool dark place for at least one month.