Slang for “pal,” “dude” or “homie” in Chicano Spanish, el vato denotes the origin of this cocktail’s base spirit, tequila. A summery muddle of watermelon, cilantro and agave syrup, this Miami Beach-born cocktail is a near-Margarita, but in the form of an icy swizzle.
- 1 1/2 ounces tequila, blanco
- 1 ounce watermelon juice
- 3/4 ounce agave syrup, chile-infused
- 3/4 ounce lime juice
- 1 sprig cilantro
Garnish: watermelon slice and cilantro sprigs
- Add cilantro to a pilsner glass.
- Muddle with agave syrup.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Top with crushed ice and swizzle.
- Garnish with a slice of watermelon and several sprigs of cilantro.