“This was the first one of my cocktails to ever go on a Sable menu, and the first time I really discovered the versatility of sherry as a cocktail ingredient,” says Mony Bunni, now behind the bar at Boleo. A combination of rye, PX sherry and Brovo Amaro #14, plus fragrant ras el hanout bitters, its become one of Bunni’s signature drinks.
- 1 1/2 ounces rye, preferably Rittenhouse
- 1 ounce PX sherry, preferably Lustau
- 1/2 ounce Brovo Amaro #14
- 2 dashes ras el hanout bitters (see Editor's Note)
Garnish: orange peel, expressed and discarded
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass over ice and stir until chilled.
- Strain into a rocks glass over ice.
- Express an orange peel over the drink and discard.
Ras el Hanout Bitters:
4 ounces rye whiskey
4 ounces tequila
4 ounces aged rum
4 ounces brandy
4 ounces everclear, preferably Gem Clear 190 proof
1/2 tablespoon cassia bark
1/2 tablespoon dried bitter orange peel
1/2 tablespoon cinchona bark
1/2 tablespoon dried angelica root
1/2 tablespoon dried wormwood herb
2 tablespoons ras el hanout
2 ounces demerara syrup (1:1, demerara sugar:water)
Combine ingredients in a large glass jar, except the demerara syrup, and allow the mixture to infuse for 2 weeks, agitating occasionally. Straining to remove the solids, and mix in the demerara syrup.