To make this fruity Daiquiri riff, Dave Arnold freezes pineapple and pomegranate juice, then shakes the slightly slushy cubes with citrus and rum into a super-cold cocktail. Adding the “hard ice” cube is optional: Arnold prefers to include it for a “lighter”-tasting drink, “but if you want it heavier from a flavor perspective, more like a Daiquiri, than omit that cube,” he advises.
- 2 ounces pineapple juice, frozen into two 1-ounce cubes
- 1 ounce pomegranate juice, frozen into one 1-ounce cube
- 1/4 ounce lime juice
- 2 ounces lightly aged rum, preferably Flor de Caña
- 4 drops 20% saline solution (alternatively, just add a pinch of salt)
- 1 “hard ice” cube (one 1-ounce cube of frozen water)
- Shake all ingredients until the cubes dissolve.
- Pour into chilled coupe glass.