The driving idea behind the Emerald City was to create an elevated Appletini. Rather than the expected vodka base, Shannon Tebay opts for Reisetbauer blue gin, “an assertive gin that’s still a good platform for other flavors to shine.” And for the all-important apple element, Tebay looks to Cyril Zangs apple cider eau de vie, a coveted expression made from over 30 varieties of apple. But the ingredient that ties the drink together is a half-ounce of Absentroux, a fortified wine aromatized with a botanical blend typically found in absinthe. “The Absentroux is really the seasoning here,” she says. “It ties everything together.”
- 1 1/2 ounces dry gin, preferably Reisetbauer
- 3/4 ounce apple eau de vie, preferably Double Zero Cyril Zangs Cider Eau De Vie
- 1/2 ounce blanc vermouth, preferably La Quintinye
- 1/2 ounce Absentroux
- 1 dash celery bitters
- 1 dash absinthe
Garnish: apple fan
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass over ice and stir until chilled.
- Strain into a chilled Martini glass.
- Garnish with an apple fan.